In Praise of Butterflies


photo by Debashish Samaddar 

It is butterfly season now and I search for them everywhere.

They are few and far between because of the pesticides people use. 

Ironic, isn't it? We apply poison to have unmarred flowers and leaves only to kill the very creatures that the flowers are here for. 

Here is what others have to say about these magical little beings: 





"The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough." 

- Rabindranath Tagore




"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly."
 - Richard Bach


monarch butterfly

"What's a butterfly garden without butterflies?"
- Roy Rogers




“Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become 
acquainted with the butterflies.” 


― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry,  The Little Prince


glass butterfly 


“Butterflies are self propelled flowers.” 

― Robert A. Heinlein





“We are all butterflies. Earth is our chrysalis.” 

― LeeAnn Taylor









Comments

  1. Butterflies were slow to return this season but I'm seeing summer broods now. Having host plants for larvae helps: Parsley, native Pipevine and Passiflora, wild Cherry, PawPaw and grasses to name a few. My Bloom Day post for tomorrow focuses on Nectar plants and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, that is great! I must plant more butterfly host plants! Please post a link to your blog here...I would love to see it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jan, the link to my butterfly photo has changed. While the photo is still available on my G+ profile and on Crated.com, it is no longer at the address you linked. To credit correctly, please change the link to http://www.devsamaddar.com
    Thanks. Nice blog. :)
    (This comment may be duplicated because my browser just refreshed.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debashish - I will change it now...beautiful photo! Thank you for letting me use it....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen