Among the Trees - Inspiration

Pine Tree 


 It’s no coincidence that we go to out to nature when we want some peace and inspiration. The Buddha found enlightenment under the Bodhi tree (a fig tree).  
The poet / essayist Wendell Berry wrote, 
“I go among trees and sit still, all my stirring becomes quiet around me like circles on water. My tasks lie in their places where I left them, asleep like cattle.”

The Oak by David Phipps

When I Am Among the Trees
from Mary Oliver's Thirst: Poems

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.


Beech Forest

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
   but walk slowly, and bow often.




Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.



And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."









Comments

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen