Solomon's Seal - Deer Resistant, Shade Lover

'Angel Wings' Variegated Solomon's Seal 
I was talking to someone in my town who had shade in their yard and deer  problems..and I suggested Variegated Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum odoratum ‘Variegatum’) to them...

It was the 2013 Perennial Plant of the Year is Award. It is deer resistant and loves shade.

This woodland gem grows 18 to 24 inches tall.


It is a great companion plant to hostas, brunnera, dicentra, ferns, and astilbes. 

The sweet fragrance of its small, bell-shaped white flowers will enhance your walk along a pathway on a spring morning. You can use its variegated foliage in spring floral arrangements. And it offers yellow fall foliage color.


It will spread by rhizomes to form colonies. Increase by dividing clumps every two to three years.



I grow this in my yard and every year it spreads and looks so wonderful. 

Click here for a list of all the Perennial of the Year winners from years before.










Comments

  1. I lost a lot of perennial plants this year. I live in zone 3. I planted 2 brunneras which are supposed to be hardy and had good snow cover all winter. Could you help me with understand why they died? I paid $12.95 cdn for each of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, they need consistently moist, organically rich soils in shady areas. they cannot stand dry soil...maybe that is why.

      Delete
  2. Solomon's Seal is a nice plant, but it's anything but deer resistant. Within a week of planting it in my garden, my local deer visitor, who has not touched my hostas, ate the entire Solomon's Seal (poygonatum commutatum) right down to the rhizome. Yum! I've now replanted it behind some deer fencing and I hope it comes back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen